I also have an earlier blog entry--"Safe Organic Pesticides"-- that may provide some valuable information for alternative approaches to control fleas, Ticks, and other pests inside and outside your home. It can be found at thttp://kiokeemastiffscom.blogspot.com/2011/06/safe-organic-pesticides.html.
In addition, here are a few homemade "recipes" that pet owners may find helpful-safe non-toxic approaches to controlling pests on your pets and in your home.
15 drops lavender oil
3-4 Tbsp of vanilla extract
1/4 Cup lemon juice.
Fill bottle with water.
1 cup of water
1/4 cup of brown sugar
1 gram of yeast
1 2-liter bottle
1. Cut the plastic bottle in half.
2. Mix brown sugar with hot water. Let cool. When cold, pour in the bottom half of the bottle.
3. Add the yeast. No need to mix. It creates carbon dioxide, which attracts mosquitoes.
4. Place the funnel part, upside down, into the other half of the bottle, taping them together if desired.
5. Wrap the bottle with something black, leaving the top uncovered, and place it outside in an area away from your normal gathering area. (Mosquitoes are also drawn to the color black.)
Change the solution every 2 weeks for continuous control.
Wasps , Bees & Hornet Trap
1/4 Cup Apple Cider Vinegar
1/2 Cup Warm Water
Mix all ingredients into a bottle and shake well. Apply on your pet and massage into skin. Be sure to get from the neck to the tip of the tail and paws. Massage soap into your pet’s coat for approximately 5 minutes. Rinse thoroughly, and then rinse again to make sure you got all the mixture out. Once your pet’s coat is dry, use a fine tooth comb to comb through your animal’s to remove any dead fleas.
Repeat treatment a time or two for really bad infestations.
Flea & Tick Remedy ♥8 oz apple cider vinegar
4 oz warm water
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
Mix dry ingredients first then slowly add to wet as the vinegar and baking soda will react slightly. Put into spray bottle and spray pets down. Be careful not to get in pets eyes.
Use Borax throughout the house, sprinkle it on the carpets and let sit for a few hours, then vacuum. This should kill all the fleas and ticks in your home and on your pets.
* Borax on animals: I wouldn't put borax directly on the animals, it might irritate their skin, but use on the floor is perfectly fine. I've used this combo in the past when I had dogs and cats that were indoor/outdoor. Works great! Also cedar chips in and around pet beds works to repel fleas and ticks.